Teams is a web-based communication tool offering online calling, video conferencing, chat, and file sharing options. Plus, Teams is included in every Goucher Office 365 account, so it is available to all current faculty, staff, and students.
- Accessing Teams
- Starting a Chat session
- Starting an Audio Call or Video Call
- Scheduling a Teams Meeting
- Using Meeting Controls
- Where Is My Personal Meeting Room?
- Adding a Teams Meeting in a Canvas Course
- Comparing Teams to Zoom
Log into Teams the same way you log into your email and other Office 365 software either…
Starting a Chat session
Starting an Audio Call or Video Call
Audio and Video calls are started from the Chat window.
Scheduling a Teams Meeting
There are several ways to schedule a meeting using Teams:
- Select Schedule a meeting in a chat (below the box where you type a new message) to book a meeting with the people in the chat.
- Go to Calendar on the left side of the app and select New meeting in the top right corner.
- Select a range of time in the calendar. A scheduling form will pop open.
- Or, use the Teams add-in for Outlook. From your Outlook calendar, create a new meeting or appointment and use the Teams Meeting buttons on the toolbar to include online meeting details in the invitation.
Using Meeting Controls
When a Teams Meeting or Video Chat is in progress, the Meeting Controls toolbar becomes available to all users. Visit the Microsoft support article for details on how to use controls, including options for breakout rooms, meeting recordings, background effects, and more.
Where Is My Personal Meeting Room?
Teams has Meet Now option but not a permanent meeting URL.
Adding a Teams Meeting in a Canvas Course
Follow our Canvas Instructor Quick Tip to create a meeting link for students without having to copy/paste or send invitations.
Comparing Teams to Zoom
Below are some key features of both conferencing platforms.
|Personal meeting room||No*||Yes|
|HIPPA compliant||Yes||Through subaccount|
|Polls||Through MS Forms||Yes|
|Recurring meetings||Via Outlook||Yes|
Cloud recordings are stored in OneDrive.
|Alternative Host||Through roles||Yes|