InsideGoucher is now running on Sharepoint 2013. The upgrade has provided a fresh, new look with some nice features. Frequent users will also notice that problems we’ve experienced with Sharepoint 2010 have been resolved. Click the link below to find out about some of the new features and changes.
Panopto frequently asked questions and topics:
- How do I create a basic recording? (opens in a new window)
- How do I log into Panopto?
- How do I make recordings available to students who added my course after Panopto was set up?
- Does my computer meet the system requirements for using Panopto?
- Why don’t I see the Record/Pause/Stop buttons?
- How long will it take for my recording to show up in GoucherLearn?
- Can I add a link to a video inside a GoucherLearn topic instead of using the PanoptoFocus block?
- What do I do if I want to reuse my recordings over several semesters?
- How do I delete a video?
- Can my students upload videos to Panopto?
- How do I use the Panopto app on my smartphone or tablet?
- Where can I get more information?
1. How do I log into Panopto?
For PC: If you are prompted to login to view or record a Panopto recording, choose Log in with GL Production and enter your usual Goucher username and password.
For Mac: After you have downloaded and opened the Panopto program, a prompt will pop up. The the “Server” field you must enter the link: goucher.hosted.panopto.com. Then click on the Providers section and change it to GL Production. After this, you can continue logging in as normal.
2. How do I make recordings available to students who added my course after Panopto was set up?
Enrollment between GoucherLearn courses and Panopto course recordings are synchronized at the beginning of the semester, but changes in enrollment must be done manually once classes are under way. If you need to give a student permission to view your recordings, here’s how…
1. From the course, turn editing on (top right)
2. Go to the Panopto Focus block and click the gear icon in the title bar (tool tip reads “Configure Panopto Focus Block”)
3. Click “Add this course to Panopto (re-add to sync user lists)”
4. Click “Back to config”.
*IF* you are using recordings from a different course/section/term, reset the “Select an existing course” dropdown to the correct course.
5. Click SAVE CHANGES button
3. Does my computer meet the system requirements for using Panopto?
The following are the hardware requirements for Panopto:
* Windows XP (SP2) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
* (32 and 64 bit) / Mac OSX 10.5 (and above)
* Mac: Intel CPUs required
* FireWire ports for digital cameras
* Windows Media Player 10 (or higher) required for broadcast
* USB ports for Webcams or other recording devices
* Disable sleep mode, screen savers and scheduled tasks
The following are the network bandwidth requirements for Panopto:
Microsoft: Windows XP SP2, Vista, 7
Mac: Mac OS 10.4.8+ (Intel-based) (PPC-based NOT supported)
Processor: 1.8 GHz or higher 2.10 GHz
Memory:512MB 4.00 GB
Network Bandwidth: 50 Kbps for audio only presentations. 300 Kbps for presentations with one video stream, audio, PowerPoint and screen capture. 500 Kbps for presentations with multiple video streams. .61 mbps download.21mbps upload
Applications: Microsoft Silverlight 2.0+ Version 5.1.10411.0
Supported Browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari
Not to worry! You can still activate the record, pause, and stop actions without clicking on them. Panopto has keyboard shortcuts as follows:
- F8: begin recording
- F9: pause recording
- F10: stop recording
- ⌘ + option + R: begin recording
- ⌘ + option + P: pause recording
- ⌘ + option + R: stop recording
Uploading will take approximately 30 seconds and the creation of podcasts/vodcasts will take approximately 20 minutes to show up on GoucherLearn. The typical encode time is between 1/4 and 1/8 of the duration of the original recording. These times may vary depending on your computer specifications, internet connection, server queue and quality settings.
* Yes. Run the Panopto Recorder, and under the “Recording Status” tab, click “Manage My Recordings”.
* Click “Make Public” in the pop-up window and copy the URL.
* You must add a link to a website to your GoucherLearn course page so students can view the video. If you need instructions for adding the link to your course, click here.
* Add the Panopto Focus Block to your course if you haven’t already. Select Turn Editing On > Select the Add a Block drop-down menu > Select Panopto Focus.
* Click the “gear” icon in the block header and choose “Configure Panopto Focus block” –>
* Open the “Select an existing course” drop-down menu and select your course from a previous semester.
* Run the Panopto Recorder. Under the “Recording Status” tab, click “Manage My Recordings.”
* In a few minutes, the link in the block will automatically be deleted. You may have to refresh your web browser to see the change.
Yes but you as the teacher have to give them special access through a drop box. Here’s how:
1. Go to your course in GoucherLearn, find the Panopto block, and click on “Course Settings”.
2. Go to “Overview” and click “Create a dropbox”.
Your students will now be able to upload video responses.
First, download the Panopto app to your device from either the iTunes store or from Google Play. When prompted for your site’s URL, enter “goucher.hosted.panopto.com” (without the quotes). A dropdown list will appear – choose “GL Production” from the list of options. Log in with your normal Goucher username and password.
On This Site:
* Goucher College Steps for Basic Recording
* Goucher College “How-To” Video for Creating Panopto Recordings
* Panopto Support has tutorials, videos, and advanced topics
*Panopto Frequently Asked Questions
ChemDraw Professional is the complete drawing tool of choice for chemists and biologists to create publication-ready, scientifically intelligent drawings for use in ELNs, databases and publications and for querying chemical databases, now including SciFinder®.
ChemDrawProfessional includes all the features in ChemDraw Prime extended with biopolymer tools, BioDraw, NMR prediction and Name=Structure. It also enables structure data exploration, organization and processing with ChemDraw for Excel, ChemFinder Standard, and ChemScript.
Before You Begin:
- Make sure you have admin rights to install software. Contact Help Desk if assistance is needed.
- Use @goucher.edu email address if faculty or @mail.goucher.edu email address if student to create account and download software.
ChemDraw Professional 15 is available for the Goucher Community by following the instructions from the link below:
Goucher College uses Panopto to host a variety of audio and video files. When uploaded, these files become available as links in a GoucherLearn course, where course participants can stream the content to their own computer.
Before You Begin:
- Panopto must be set up in GoucherLearn by the course instructor for student use.
- Make sure the file you are uploading is supported. The main file types are 3gp, asf, avi , mp3, mp4, mov, MPEG-2, wma, wmv. To see a complete listing of all file types supported go to http://support.panopto.com/documentation/upload-unison/unison-supported-file-types
1) Log into Goucher’s Panopto site
- Go to http://goucher.hosted.panopto.com
- Using the USER LOGIN drop-down, select the title GL Production. If the drop down is set to Panopto or GL Development, change to GL Production and click Log in
- When prompted, type in your usual Goucher username and password (some browsers will log you in automatically if you are already logged into GoucherLearn)
2) On the left side of the page, select the desired folder that matches the correct Course ID. (This will link to the same course in GoucherLearn.)
3) Click the CREATE button and select “Upload a Video” from the dropdown.
4) Click “Choose video or audio files” and browse for the video or audio file you want to upload.
5) After the green loading bar underneath the video has filled, it will change to say “processing”. This may take a while to complete. Processing time is dependent on the size of the file, your computer’s processing speed, and the speed and bandwidth of the internet connection being used. Once the video says “processing” it is alright to close the upload window.
6) If you want to edit the title or description of your video, click on “settings” underneath the video. From here you can edit the name, the description, and a few other settings.
Pomodoro – Allows you to allot time to focus on studying, projects, etc. in productive increments. Allows you to manage your tasks, track your progress, and maximize productivity by letting you customize how long you want to work and how many breaks to take.
Evernote – Unlike the “Notes” app on the iPhone, Evernote allows you to log in from any device so that you can add to your notes wherever you have WiFi. You can also organize them, set reminders, add check-lists, etc.
Google Drive – Google drive offers free and unlimited storage and connects to your Gmail address. It’s a good idea to save all your files online rather than to your computer so that if your computer crashes, you can still retrieve all your files from your storage like Google Drive.
Duolingo – Duolingo is a language-learning site that is free and encouraging! You can track your progress and see how far you have to go before become fluent.
Cram – This is a free flashcard app that allows you to customize your cards, read them front to back or back to front, have them read allowed, tracks which you got right and wrong, and can be used on your phone right before your test!
Hemingway – This app brings the Writing Center on the go by highlighting long, dense, confusing sentences or instances of passive voice or adverbs. It also rates the grade level you are writing on as well as the readability. While it doesn’t have a phone app, it does have a desktop app so that you can copy and paste your work without opening an Internet browser.
Khan Academy – Khan Academy is especially good with math training but has a range of subjects from organic chemistry to art history. It tracks your progress and is always free.
Rainymood – Gives you the comforting feeling of rain to help you focus.
Mynoise.net – A more customizable soundscape app. You can feel like you’re at the beach, a coffeeshop, in front of a crackling fire, camping in the rain, or you can create your own.
- How do I change my password?
- What if I change my password another way?
- What is a “keychain?”
- What do keychain errors mean?
- What if I can’t remember my old password?
- My keychain or password problem isn’t listed here.
How do I change my password?
Every 180 days, Goucher faculty and staff must change their account passwords for security purposes. Besides receiving the standard email warnings that it is near time to change passwords, Mac users will receive a secondary warning on their login screens.
It’s best to change your password by clicking this “Change Password” button when it appears, because it will automatically change your keychain password as well!
What if I change my password another way?
If you change your password through a different method, the first time you log in, you will receive this error message:
At this time, click the highlighted “Update Keychain Password” button. Your Mac will then ask you to enter both your previous password, and your new password. This will successfully update your keychain password!
What is a “keychain?”
A keychain is your Mac’s way of storing sensitive credentials in a secure way. Keychains are encrypted files that can contain passwords, security information for our network, and can even personal information, such as credit card numbers and address information.
Every keychain has its own password, and the info can only be accessed, or “unlocked,” by entering that password in.
When you log in to your Mac for the first time, it automatically creates a keychain called “Login,” that it will use to store your information. It will set the keychain password to be the same as your login password. This is the preferred method, because your Mac will automatically unlock your keychain once you login, allowing itself to access what you stored there.
What do keychain errors mean?
If your keychain password and your account password aren’t the same, you will get this kind of error:
This error means that the application “Safari” wants to access some secure information stored in your keychain. For example, it could be the password to your Facebook account. But because your keychain password and login password are different, your keychain wasn’t unlocked when you logged in, so Safari is asking you to enter the keychain password to unlock it.
Please contact the HelpDesk for assistance in making your keychain passwords match. You will need to know what your keychain password is in order for us to fix the keychains. It’s usually what your account password was before your most recent changed.
What if I can’t remember my old password?
If you can’t remember your old password so that we can fix your keychain, we can still make the error go away by erasing your old keychain and building a new one. Please contact the HelpDdesk for assistance with this.
Changing your password will only have minor effects on the way you use your Mac. You may have to re-enter your passwords or information for a few things, such as:
- Website passwords (Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, etc.)
- Email accounts (Both Goucher and any personal accounts being used)
- AutoFill forms (such as shipping addresses when online shopping)
- WiFi passwords for non-Goucher networks
My keychain or password problem isn’t listed here.
Please contact the HelpDesk by emailing email@example.com, and we’ll be happy to assist you with any other keychain problems you may be experiencing.
- What is an Apple ID?
- If Goucher IT manages my Mac, why do I need an Apple ID?
- What if I have more questions about my Apple ID?
- What if I forget my Apple ID or Password?
What is an Apple ID?
An Apple ID is your account for everything that comes directly from Apple. This could include:
- iTunes Music, Movies, and TV Shows
- iPhone and iPad Apps
- Mac App Store Apps
Think of an Apple ID as an ownership list. Whenever you purchase, or download a free App, song, movie, etc, it is added to a list of content that you own in your Apple ID. This content can then be used on any compatible Apple device, without having to buy it again! (Note: While they’re both called Apps, Mac App Store Apps, and iPhone and iPad Apps are not the same thing, and can’t be shared across devices.)
Apple IDs, like most other website accounts, tend to be your email address used when you created it. Because the signup process also stores your address and other information to prove your identity, they’re also useful if shopping on the Apple Online Store, or to make reservations at the Apple Retail Store.
If Goucher IT manages my Mac, why do I need an Apple ID?
In addition to allowing you access to the iTunes store, and downloading apps onto an iPhone or iPad, an Apple ID allows you to expand the list of Apps that your Mac came with in the Mac App Store. In fact, Apple gives you a few just for being a new Mac owner!
By opening up the Mac App Store (click on the blue icon with an ‘A’ on it on your dock), and then clicking “Purchases” at the top of the screen, your Mac will tell you that you have some apps to accept.
Once you sign in on this page, a number of great apps will be automatically added to your account, and begin downloading. Because the apps are now on your account, you’ll be able to update them yourself when necessary!
The apps you’ll get include:
- Pages: an Apple version of Word
- Numbers: an Apple version of Excel
- Keynote: an Apple version of Powerpoint
- iPhoto: a fantastic photo organizing, editing, and sharing application
- iMovie: an easy-to-use video editing and sharing application
- Garageband: an introduction to digital audio recording and music making
What if I have more questions about my Apple ID?
Apple’s Knowledge Base has a great set of Frequently Asked Questions about Apple IDs. You can find it at: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5622
What if I forget my Apple ID or Password?
Visit Apple’s reset page at http://iforgot.apple.com, and you’ll be walked through the process of resetting your Apple ID.
As soon as you reset your Apple ID, every Apple device you own that uses it will ask you to re-enter your new password. Just put your new password in and hit “OK,” and it will save the password for future use!
|NAME OF SERVICE||LINK TO SITE||WHAT IT DOES|
|e2 Campus Notifications||Tinyurl.com/e2-campus-goucher||
Faculty and Staff using a Mac computer can set up their Goucher email using the Apple Mail program included with the latest version of the Mac operating system (Mavericks). Apple Mail replaces Outlook for Mac computers.
- Instructions for setting up email on Apple mobile devices (i.e. iPhone or iPad) are available by clicking here.
- Apple Mail requires a strong internet connection. Users with slow or spotty internet access should use Outlook Web Access by going to email.goucher.edu in their web browser.
**Although not required, this process works best when connected to the Goucher wireless network.
- Open Apple Mail on your computer.
- Go to the Mail menu and click Add Account.
- Click Exchange.
- Type in a name for the mailbox (for example, “Goucher Email”), your full Goucher email address, and your Goucher password. Click Continue.
- If the system says that connecting to the server failed (this sometimes happens) just click Continue.
- Select/deselect the items you want to manage from your mailbox and click Done.
Your email will begin to load.