VPN, short for “Virtual Private Network”, is a type of connection from a computer on the internet (a public network) to a private network (such as Goucher College). A VPN connection allows users who are away from campus to access files usually only available from computers set up in offices, classrooms, or labs in campus buildings.
Follow these steps to set up a remote VPN connection from an off-campus computer.
Before you begin:
- VPN will only work from off-campus and does not work when connected to the Goucher network on campus.
- A different connection is needed for access to library and research databases. Please see http://blogs.goucher.edu/knowledgebase/2011/08/30/off-campus-access-to-library-databases/ for details.
- A high speed cable or DSL internet connection is required.
- This procedure installs a small java application on your computer.
- VPN connections are supported for Windows XP SP2 and higher, or Mac OS 10.5 and higher.
- Open a web browser and go to http://remote.goucher.edu.
- Choose “Goucher Network” from the Group field and enter your Goucher username and password.
- Hit the LOGIN button. An automatic procedure will be run on your computer. Follow the prompts to install the Cisco VPN AnyConnect program on your computer.
- When the wizard finishes, a connection will automatically be made. From this point forward, right-click the AnyConnect icon (circled in red below) in your system tray (Windows) or Menu Bar (Mac) to disconnect/exit your Goucher VPN connection. (If problems occur with the automatic download, click here for a direct link to the installation files.)
When you want to make a VPN connection next time simply start again from Step:1 (This time it will be bit quicker as the AnyConnect client is already installed on your computer from the first time).
Once a VPN connection is established, go to Guide: How to access Darwin, Magellan, or Meyerhoff from Off Campus to learn how to navigate to your network files.