VPN, short for “Virtual Private Network”, is a type of connection from a computer on the internet (a public network) to a private network (such as Goucher College). A VPN connection allows users who are away from campus to access files usually only available from computers set up in offices, classrooms, or labs in campus buildings.
Follow these steps to set up a remote VPN connection from an off-campus computer.
Before you begin:
- VPN will only work from off-campus and does not work when connected to the Goucher network on campus.
- A different connection is needed for access to library and research databases. To access the library’s electronic resources from off-campus go to the library homepage.
- Open a web browser and go to http://remote.goucher.edu.
- Choose “Goucher Network” from the Group field and enter your Goucher username and password.
- Hit the LOGIN button. An automatic procedure will be run on your computer. Follow the prompts to install the Cisco VPN AnyConnect program on your computer. (If problems occur with the automatic download, click here for a direct link to the installation files.)
- When the wizard finishes, a connection will automatically be made. From this point forward, right-click the AnyConnect icon (Pic1 below) in your system tray (Windows) or Menu Bar (Mac) to connect/disconnect your Goucher VPN connection. Make sure the server is set to remote.goucher.edu (Pic2 below).
Once a VPN connection is established, go to Guide: How to access Darwin, Magellan, or Meyerhoff to learn how to navigate to your network files.