The Print Wisely program uses software called PaperCut to conserve printing resources. Students are allocated 400 pages each semester. The PaperCut software loads when you log on a campus computer and puts an icon displaying the number of pages you have left in the upper right hand corner of the screen. If you do not see that icon and you are unable to print then you may need to log off and then log on again. Please call the Help Desk if you continue to experience problems. For more information on this program, please visit http://www.goucher.edu/x35995.xml.
Author Archives: capec001
My printer seems to get jammed with paper at least once a week. Does it need to be replaced?
If you’re using an inkjet printer you may want to make sure that the paper is not too thick. Try using a standard non-bonded paper to see if that will eliminate the jams. If the inkjet printer jams regardless of paper thickness, it may need to be replaced. Check with the manufacturer to see if it’s still under warranty. If it is a Goucher-owned inkjet or a laser printer please contact the Help Desk for assistance.
The laserjet printer in my office is printing lines down one side of each page. How can I fix this problem?
First try taking out the toner and gently shaking it from side to side. If that doesn’t resolve the problem insert a new toner to see if that works. If not, then please contact the Help Desk.
I have an inkjet printer that doesn’t seem to be working even after installing new cartridges. How can I fix this problem?
Some inkjet printers require you to replace all empty cartridges before it will work. For instance, if you only replace the black cartridge but the yellow cartridge is low as well, then the printer will not work. Another reason why the printer may not work after a cartridge replacement is that the printer may need to go through a series of head cleaning or printer head alignment. These options can be found in the printer properties
I am unable to access files on Darwin/Magellan. How do I know if it’s just my computer or a system wide problem?
First check to see if anyone else in your dorm room, floor or office is experiencing the same problem. If so, then the problem could be system wide and you can confirm that by either checking the status online by going to our Facebook page. You can also check via phone by dialing 6322 and select option 3.
I am getting intermittent connection to the network in my dorm room. Who do I contact to resolve this problem?
First make sure that you are only connected to the network using an Ethernet cable in your room. If you also have wireless enabled, it may interfere with the wired connection. Disable your wireless connection and see if the problem persists. If you continue to experience problems with your wired connection please contact the Help Desk.
I’ve logged on to my office computer and am able to access the Internet and Outlook but, my network drives are not appearing. What should I do?
Network drives are mapped automatically through a program called Desktop Authority when you log onto your computer. If some or all of your network drives are missing, log off and log back on to see if the drives will appear. Please contact the Help Desk if that does not resolve the problem.
What is the email attachment file size limit?
This post applies to Faculty and Staff email.
Outlook: How do I find out the mailing address of someone at Goucher?
For Faculty and Staff
- Click on Tools in the menu bar of the Viewer window and select Address Book.
- If the block under the Show Names from the prompt does not contain Global Address List, click on the down arrow at the end of the block and select it from the drop down list. The Global Address List is a directory of all Exchange users.
- You can scroll through the list, or type the first few letters of the person’s last name in the Type name or Select from List block to move quickly to a particular group of names.
- You can display more information about an entry by double-clicking on it. If you do display this extra information, click the OK button to return to the Address Book.
- When you have finished with the Address Book, click on File in its menu bar and select Close.
Students with @mail.goucher.edu accounts can find mailing addresses of faculty and staff at www.goucher.edu/directory.
How do I recover a deleted message in Outlook?
- While in Outlook, click on the Deleted Items folder to display its contents.
- Find the message you want to retrieve and click on it.
- While holding the mouse button, drag the message so that it is over the Inbox folder and then release the mouse button.
Your message has now been moved to the Inbox folder.
If you have emptied your Deleted Items folder and need to recover a message, follow these steps:
- Select the Deleted Items folder by clicking on it once to highlight.
- Click on the Tools menu and then select Recover Deleted Items.
- A dialog box will appear with a list of deleted items sorted by the Deleted On date. In this view, you have three options: Select All, Recover Selected Items and Purge (permanently delete) Selected Items.
- Once you have made your selection(s), close the dialog box by clicking on the Xin the upper right hand corner. The messages that you selected to recover will appear in the Deleted Items folder. Note: It may take a few minutes for the messages to appear.
If you have permanently deleted emails and you need them to be restored, please contact the helpdesk at x6322 or email@example.com
This post applies to Faculty and Staff email.