LOADING

Type to search

Alumni Spotlight

Q&A: Justin Holbrook ’10

2017 Baltimore City Teacher of the Year

Briefly describe your career (what you do, where you do it, why you do it).

I teach 4th grade math and science at Roland Park Elementary Middle School in Baltimore City Schools.  I teach because I have the opportunity every single day to inspire and empower the community I serve.  Every student’s individual story matters. 

What has been your biggest professional accomplishment?

Being selected as the 2017 Baltimore City Teacher of the Year was a humbling and great honor.  I cannot wait to be further involved as a leader in Baltimore City Schools.

What has been your biggest personal accomplishment?

Every year I run the Baltimore Full Marathon in honor of my school and community.  Running is my outlet and the reflection time I incorporate daily.

How did Goucher prepare you for your career?

The Education Department at Goucher provided the hands-on student teaching experience in my first education class.  This revealed that I wanted to be an educator early in my studies.  The professors were extremely supportive and always involved in our own personal journeys.  Without this support and guidance, I would not be the same educator I am today.  Additionally, being part of the Goucher Men’s Soccer team provided another opportunity to learn about who I was as a person, how to compete, and how to lead other people.  Both my academic and athletic experiences will stay with me forever. 

What is your most vivid Goucher memory?

My most vivid Goucher memories are the stories from all the soccer games, away bus trips, and training sessions. The relationships I formed with my college teammates are priceless and each one played a massive role in shaping me as a person.  I cannot thank them enough.

How do you stay connected to the college?

I have served as a Goucher Men’s Soccer assistant coach for the past seven years primarily working with the goalkeepers.  I cannot thank Athletic Director Geoff Miller and Head Men’s Soccer Coach Bryan Laut enough for the opportunity to be involved. 

Tags

Next Up