LOADING

Type to search

Goucher Today

Nina Kasniunas honored for leadership on democratic engagement

Nina Kasniunas, Arsht Professor in Ethics and Leadership at Goucher College, received a Champion Award for being a standout faculty member at the first-ever ALL IN Challenge Awards Ceremony. The national award recognizes individuals and institutions in higher education committed to increasing college student voting rates.

Kasniunas was nominated by President Bowen for her work with Goucher students and selected by ALL IN Challenge advisory board members in recognition of her commitment and exemplary leadership in working to increase voting rates and helping students form the habits of active and informed citizenship.

“I am thrilled to have been recognized for my leadership on democratic engagement at Goucher College. Much of my work is founded on a deep belief in civic engagement—and it is because of this that I have overseen democratic engagement efforts on campus
for as long as I have been at Goucher,” says Kasniunas. “The work I have done with students is highly visible around election time, but it extends beyond elections. How we teach and what we teach has an effect on civic engagement, and so too does the practice of organizing and participating, which students experience in extra- curricular activities.”

In addition to Kasniunas’ honor, Goucher received a silver seal for achieving a student voting rate between 60 percent and 69 percent, above the national average of 48.3 percent.