Mahara FAQs 2.0

Goucher College Mahara ePortfolio Questions and Topics (existing users only)

Note: Mahara eportfolios are used by Goucher Graduate Programs. Undergraduate students should use Portfolium.

To watch a video tutorial on how to use your Goucher ePortfolio, click the VIDEO link next to each FAQ.

1. How do I access my Goucher ePortfolio? (video)
  2. How do I load my picture to the Profile page of my portfolio? How do I edit my Profile page? (video) (video)
  3. What is a page? How do I add and edit a page? (video)
  4. What is a collection? How do I create a collection?  (video)
  5. My program uses a template. How to I copy a template into my ePortfolio? (video)
  6. How do I load files, documents, and images to my account to use in my portfolio? (video)
  7. How do I add education history, employment history, and other information to the Profile page of my portfolio? (video)
  8. How do I add links to my social media? (video)
  9. What are plans? How do I add them? (video)
  10. What are journals? How do I add them? (video)
  11. Can I view a sample portfolio?
  12. Are Goucher Programs in Education (GPE) resources available for students to set up and edit portfolios?
  13. How do I export my ePortfolio? (video)
  14. How do I share my portfolio with people in the Goucher ePortfolio system? (video)
  15. How do I share my portfolio with people outside of the Goucher ePortfolio system? (video)
  16. How do I see pages shared with me?

1. How do I access my Goucher ePortfolio? (video tutorial) 

There are two ways to get to your Goucher ePortfolio from Canvas.

Option One: From a Canvas Course – Enter a Canvas course and click on the link to “Goucher ePorfolios” on the navigation panel on the left. (Use Option 2 if you don’t see this link.)

Option Two: From Account Settings – Log into Canvas and navigate to Account > Settings. A link to “Goucher ePortfolios” will appear.  (Note: The link that just reads “ePortfolios” is a different system that came with Canvas.)

Once you have been redirected to the Goucher ePortfolios site, you will find your own ePortfolio by clicking on the Menu icon in the upper right (button with 3 parallel lines) and selecting “Portfolio”.

(back to top)

2. How do I load my picture to the Profile page of my portfolio? (video tutorial) (video tutorial)

• Click your Icon on the right.
  • Select Choose File and upload an icon. If the file is too big, try cropping it smaller. Then, select Upload. When the page refreshes, check the box under Default next to your icon. Lastly, select Set default.

How do I edit my Profile page?
  • Select your icon from the top right. Then, select Edit this page. 
  • Click the gear next to About Me to add your location, student ID, etc.

(back to top)

3. What is a page? How do I add and edit a page? (video tutorial)

A page allows you to load any type of content to your portfolio: files, images, video, journals, notes, external content.

(back to top)

How do I add a page to my portfolio?

Click the Main menu, the three bars at the top right of the screen.

• Go to Portfolio, and then Pages and Collections    
  • Select Add from the top right. Then, select Page.

• Give your page a title and description or tags, if you’d like. Press Save.
  • Now you’re on your page. To add things, click or drag over a content block.  To edit its layout, click Edit Layout.

• Once you drag a content block to the page, you will be shown directions to select that will be displayed for the content block
  • For each of the following tabs, you will find different content blocks to use for your page:
    • Files, images and video
    • Journals
    • General Profile
    • Resume
    • External content
    • Your changes will be saved automatically.

How do I edit pages in my portfolio?

• Select the three dots to open edit option
  • Select the edit icon to update a page in the portfolio

(back to top)

4. What is a collection? How do I create a collection? (video tutorial) 

A Collection is a set of pages that are linked to one another and have the same access permissions. You can create as many collections as you like, but a page cannot appear in more than one collection.

How do I create a collection?

• Select Add from the top right. Then, select Collection.

• Give your collection a name, a description, or tags, if you’d like. Click Next: Edit Collection Pages. 
  • From this page, you can add existing pages to your collection. Click their checkmark or drag them over. Click Add pages and Done.
  • If you want to add more pages to your collection later, go to Pages and Collections and click on your collection.

(back to top)

5. My program uses a template. How to I copy a template into my ePortfolio? (video tutorial)

Templates are sets of related collections. When you copy a template, all collections and pages inside it will be copied to your portfolio.

Follow these steps to copy a template for your program (e.g., Master of Arts in Teaching Template)

• Log in and click the Menu icon (button in upper right with 3 parallel lines)
      • Go to Portfolio
      • Click Copy
      • Find the template for your program
      • Click on the Copy collection button next to the template
      • This will create a Collection for your program
      • You can then begin to update the pages of your collection

(back to top)

6.  How do I load files, documents, and images to my account to use in my portfolio? (video tutorial) 

• As you submit papers, documents, and research for your classes, you should upload these files to your portfolio to accumulate artifacts and reflections for inclusion in your portfolio.
  • You can upload your images, documents, or other files for inclusion on the index page. You can select multiple files to upload them at once. You can create folders to organize your files and documents. You can drag and drop the icons to move files between folders.
  • Click the Main menu, the three lines at the top right corner of the screen, and select Content.
  • Click your Main menu again and select Files.
  • From here, you can upload files and then create a folder to put them in.
  • When you upload files and documents, you can update the name and description to describe the artifact by clicking the Pencil icon. Make the name meaningful and clear. Your description can be as long as you like. Remember the name and description will be displayed in your portfolio when you add a file to a page of your portfolio.
  • To add these files to your portfolio, go to your Main menu, Pages and Collections, select your Page, and drag over a content block from the left from Media like File(s) to download, Folder, or PDF.

(back to top)

7. How do I add education history, employment history, and other information to the Profile page of my portfolio? (video tutorial) 

• Click the Main menu, the three lines at the top right corner of the screen, and select Content.
  • Click the Main menu again and select Résumé                                                   
  • Begin entering information into any of the fields in any section of the resume
  • Information that is entered in the resume will automatically appear on the Profile page
  • Only enter information that you would like to be seen on the Profile page of your portfolio
  • Cover letter: this is a good way to provide readers of your portfolio with your biography
  • You can enter blank start and end dates for entries in your education history or employment history
  • Information that can be included in the resume section:
    • Introduction: Cover Letter and Personal Information
    • Education & Employment: Education history and employment history
    • Achievements: Certifications, accreditations, and awards; books and publications; professional memberships
    • Goals: Personal goals, Academic goals, Career goals
      Skills: Personal skills, Academic skills, Work skills
    • Interests

(back to top)

8. How do I add links to my social media? (video tutorial)

• Select Social Media from the top.
  • Click New Social Media Account. Choose your social network and enter your username or URL to your profile. Click Save.

(back to top)

9. What are plans? How do I add them? (video tutorial)

• Plans are a way to show your progress. It is a virtual checklist so viewers can follow along with your progress.
  • To add a plan, click the Main menu, the three lines at the top right corner of the screen, and select Content. Click again and select Plans.
  • Click New plan. Give your plan a title, a description, and tags, if you’d like. Click Save.
  • Now, you click New task. Give it a title and a completion date. If the task is complete, scroll down and click the No next to Completed to change it to Yes. This will give the task a green check. If the task is not yet complete, do not click anything next to Completed. If it has passed the completion date without it being completed, it will automatically have a red x.  You can edit these with the pencil icon on the far right.
  • To add these to your page, go to your Main menu, Portfolio, select your page, click Edit this page, and click General on the left. Click or drag over Plans.

(back to top)

10. What are journals? How do I add them? (video tutorial)

• Journals function like blogs and are ways to give viewers frequent updates.
  • To add a journal, click the Main menu, the three lines at the top right corner of the screen, and select Content. Click again and select Journals.
  • Click New entry to get started.
  • To add a journal to a page, go to your Main menu, Portfolio, select your page, click Edit this page, and click Journal on the left.

(back to top)

11. Can I view a sample portfolio?

(back to top) 

12. Are Goucher Programs in Education (GPE) resources available for students to set up and edit portfolios?

(back to top)

13. How do I export my ePortfolio? (video tutorial)

Your ePortfolio can be exported as HTML web pages, which can then be imported into another web-based program.                 

• Click the Main menu, the three bars at the top right of the screen and select Portfolio.  Click Main menu again and select Export.

• Next, choose the export format and the content you wish to export. Click Generate Export

(back to top)

14. How do I share my portfolio with people in the Goucher ePortfolio system? (video tutorial

• Click the Main menu, the three bars at the top right of the screen and select Portfolio.  Click Main menu again and select Shared by me.

• Click on the Lock symbol to edit access for the collection that you would like to share
  • Click on the dropdown box and change the value from “Friends” to “Users.” Type in the name of the person and hit Enter. The name of the person should be displayed.
  • Click on the Add button next to the name of the person
  • The person that you have added will be displayed
  • Click on the Save button
  • NOTE: If the person is not displayed during the search, check the spelling of the name or use part of the name for the search. If the name cannot be found, contact the person to be sure that they are a part of the Goucher ePortfolio system. If not, they need to go to Canvas > Account > Settings > Goucher ePortfolio to open their portfolio. If they are not part of Goucher, you can share your portfolio using the Secret URL technique.

(back to top)

15. How do I share my portfolio with people outside of the Goucher ePortfolio system? (video tutorial)

• Click the Main menu, the three bars at the top right of the screen and select Portfolio.  Click Main menu again and select Shared by me.

• Click on the globe icon for a Secret URL. This is a link that you can send to anyone without having them log in to an account. Use this rather than copy and pasting from the address bar.
  • Click on the Add button next to New secret URL. The URL will be displayed. Email the URL to people who you would like to view your portfolio

(back to top)

16. How do I see pages shared with me?

• Click the Main menu, the three bars at the top right of the screen and select Portfolio.  Click Main menu again and select Shared with me.

• The pages shared with you will be listed here

(back to top)