The Advanced Forum has features that enable students to discuss forum topics in assigned groups.
1. On your course page, turn editing on.
2. Click Add a Activity or Resource. Select Advanced Forum from the options listed in the pop-up window. Click Add at the bottom of the window.
3. Fill in the required sections (name & description).
4. To adjust the group settings in the forum, click the Groups Mode drop-down menu in the “Common Module Settings” category. There are three options—
No groups: There are no sub-groups; each student can see what every other student posts.
Separate groups: Each group can only see their own group; others are invisible.
Visible groups: Each group works within their own group, but can also see other groups.
Select the option that works best for you > select Save and display at the bottom of the page. You’ll be taken to the forum page.
5. In the upper-right corner of the forum page, there is a drop-down menu that allows the professor to filter their views/posts to one group only or to all students at once.
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
1. In the “Administration” block under “Course Administration,” expand the Users tab > select Groups.
2. Select Create Group.
3. Give the group a name (and description if you’d like).
4. To add users to the group, click the Add/Remove Users button.
5. Select a student from the list on the right and click Add to put them in the group. (Tip: You can use the Shift-key and Control-key to choose more than one student at a time.)
6. You can review the group participants if you click Back to Groups.
Adding Users to a Course
Normally enrollments are synced to GoucherLearn through the registrar. However, faculty can override this permission if they need to give others access to their course (e.g. a co-instructor or a teaching assistant).
Note for staff participants – If you are enrolling a Goucher staff person into a course, they will need to log into GoucherLearn at least once before they can be added to a course using the steps below.
1. From your course page, expand the Users Tab in the Administration category > click Enrolled Users.
2. Click the Enroll Users button on the right side of the page. A pop-up window appears with a list of user accounts.
Note: make sure the Assign Roles drop-down menu is set to the correct role (i.e. Student, Instructor, etc). The default selection is Student.
3. Type the user’s name in the search box at the bottom of the window. Hit Enter.
4. Click Enroll next to their information.
5. Click Finish Enrolling Users at the bottom of the window.