CAMPUS CONSTRUCTION—WHAT TO EXPECT
As you may have noticed, there’s a lot going on around campus. We’re excited about our new improvements and wanted to let you know what to expect in the near future as we continue to make our campus the model for the liberal arts in the 21st century. —Facilities Management Services
Mary Fisher Hall
Exterior and interior improvements are progressing, and the addition is well underway on the Loop Road side and work has begun on the Van Meter walkway side. It is scheduled to open for fall of 2018.
The Gallagher and Alcock buildings were moved to their new foundations.
Construction will commence in September and it will open Fall 2018.
This will go out to bid this fall, with completion anticipated in summer of 2018.
Hoffberger Science Addition
The design schematics are completed, and construction will start in January of 2019. It is expected to be ready for fall of 2021.
Decker Sports and Recreation Center (SRC)
Air conditioning will be completed this fall.
Main Gym Floor has been refinished and ready for use.
Lower Level Gym Floor is being refinished at the end of August and will be closed for two weeks at that time.
Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Arts Center
Starting in September, all track lighting will be replaced with new energy-efficient track and LED bulbs. This should be completed in the fall.
This fall, the Information Commons will become the Learning Commons. The Writing Center and Quantitative Reasoning (QR) Center will join the Library, IT student help, and Library Reference staff to help students with all of those services in the area previously known as the Information Commons on the third floor of the Athenaeum. Changes include:
- Student tutoring for Writing Center in the back right corner of Learning Commons
- Student tutoring for QR Center in the back left corner of the Learning Commons
- Room 321 will be a 12-person conference room that will be available for scheduling through Goucher’s Event Management System (EMS) or for classes.
- Room 322 will be a 32-person classroom that can be scheduled for classes until 4 p.m. and otherwise scheduled through EMS.
- Room 325 will be available to the QR Center and Writing Center for tutor training and more private consultation space during center hours but open to students after center hours.
- Room 326 will be a seminar room for 20-25 people that can be scheduled through EMS but will not be used for classes.
Van Meter B10 will be closed starting January 2018.
Hoffberger Kelley Lecture Hall
The front bench will be removed and some lighting will be reworked over the January break to make the space more flexible for panel discussions and movie watching.